Europe is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world. And in this post we would be covering in detail about the Hidden Gems in Europe. So continue reading and let me know how many places which you have already visited in Europe from this list.
From breathtaking natural wonders to hidden historical spots, In this travel guide we are going to cover the top 10 european hidden gems that you don’t want to miss!
Exciting, adventurousAre you ready to take the road less traveled? Europe is full of incredible hidden gems that are often overlooked. These undiscovered destinations provide an enriching and exciting experience, while allowing travelers to get off the beaten path.
From stunning mountain views to serene beach hideaways, a road trip through Europe’s best-kept secrets will make for an unforgettable itinerary. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an adventure of a lifetime, you’re sure to find your favorite hidden gem in Europe. So grab your bags, it’s time to start planning your next journey!
While exploring these hidden gems in Europe can be an incredible experience, it’s important to also prioritize your safety and well-being. That’s where SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance comes in. This comprehensive insurance plan is specifically designed for digital nomads, remote workers, and long-term travelers, providing coverage for medical expenses, travel delays, lost luggage, and more.
With Nomad Insurance, you can have peace of mind knowing that you’re protected no matter where your travels take you. So why not add an extra layer of security to your European adventure and check out Nomad Insurance from SafetyWing?
Europe Hidden Gems - Image by H. Emre
Top 10 Hidden Gems in Europe That Most Travelers Miss Out On
1. Black Forest, Germany
Best Unknown Places in Europe to Visit : Image by Jan Karan
The Black Forest of Germany offers a world of exploration and discovery, with its rolling hills and ancient trees. From the quaint spa towns of Baden-Baden to the vast expanse of the Schwarzwald National Park, the area’s natural beauty is undeniable.
Top 5 things to do in Black Forest
- Take a hike through the mossy trails, marvel at the waterfalls, or just relax by one of the many crystal-clear lakes. With a wealth of activities and attractions, the Black Forest is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. So, come and discover the beauty of the Black Forest for yourself! Transition to the next idea: Make sure to take to explore the area’s rich cultural heritage and enjoy the traditional cuisine of the Black Forest region.
- Explore the picturesque landscape: The Black Forest is known for its stunning landscape of rolling hills, lush green meadows, and breathtakingly beautiful valleys.
- Go for a hike: The Black Forest is full of interesting trails to explore, from easy walks to more challenging hikes.
- Taste the local cuisine:Visit a spa: Enjoy the healing thermal waters and pamper yourself with a massage or beauty treatment.
- Shop for souvenirs: Don’t forget to pick up a souvenir or two to remember your trip to the Black Forest.
2. Bled, Slovenia
Hidden Gems in Europe : Image by fnfoto
Nestled in the heart of the Julian Alps, Lake Bled is one of Europe’s favorite hidden gems. With its crystal-clear waters and breathtaking views, this unique place provides travelers with a truly unique travel experience. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful escape or an outdoor adventure, Lake Bled offers something for everyone.
Take a romantic boat ride to the picturesque Bled Island or take a dip in the lake’s refreshing waters. Whether you’re looking for inspiration or searching insurance, Lake Bled is the perfect place for you. As you explore this stunning region, let Lake Bled be your guide.
Top 5 Things to do in Bled Slovenia when you visit Europe
- Visit Bled Castle: Located on a rocky cliff overlooking Lake Bled, Bled Castle is one of the oldest Castle in Slovenia. Enjoy stunning views of the lake and surrounding countryside castle’s viewing tower.
- Take a Boat Ride: Take a traditional pletna boat ride to Bled Island and visit the Church of the Assumption for a unique experience.
- Explore the Vintgar Gorge: This spectacular gorge is located just a few miles from Bled, and features a 1.6 kilometer walking path, waterfalls, and breathtaking views.
- Taste Local Cuisine: Try some of the delicious local cuisine such as kremšnite, a cream cake filled with custard, or pogača, a type of flatbread.
- Hike the Julian Alps: Head to the nearby Julian Alps and take in the stunning views of the mountains and valleys. Hiking trails are available for all levels of experience.
3. Alberobello, Italy
Excited Exploring the cobbled streets of the delightful village of Alberobello in Italy is a must for any traveler looking for unique places to discover. With its incredible trulli houses, which are traditional stone dwellings with conical roofs, this small town is a must-see for any wine lover’s Europe itinerary.
It’s a favorite hidden gem, with plenty of shops, restaurants, and other attractions to explore and experience. Plus, it’s the perfect spot to experience the culture of Italy. Ready to dive into the Italian way of life? Then let’s get going!
Top 5 Things to do in Aleberobello Italy
- Visit the Trulli Houses: Witness the unique and beautiful architecture of Alberobello by exploring the Trulli houses. These whitewashed, cone-roofed houses are a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and a must-see for anyone visiting the area.
- Explore the Streets of Alberobello: Wander the streets of Alberobello and take in the picturesque atmosphere. As you explore, you’ll find a variety of shops, restaurants, and monuments depicting the rich history of the area.
- Visit the Church of Sant’Antonio: Step inside the Church of Sant’Antonio for a look at the stunning baroque architecture and artwork. This church, situated in the heart of Alberobello, is a stunning example of the area’s cultural heritage.
- Learn About the History of Alberobello: Immerse yourself in the history of Alberobello by visiting the Museo del Territorio and the Casa Pezzolla, two local museums that provide insight into the area’s past.
- Dine on Local Cuisine: Last but not least, be sure to try some of the local cuisine while visiting Alberobello. From traditional Italian dishes to more contemporary fare, you’re sure to find something to tantalize your taste buds.
4. Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia
Plitvice National Park Croatia : hidden gems in Europe
If you’re looking for a hidden gem in Europe, look no further than Croatia’s Plitvice Lakes. This mystical place in Europe is home to some of the most stunning scenery, with a multitude of lakes, waterfalls, and lush forests. Whether you decide to take a boat ride, go for a hike, or just take in the incredible views, you’re sure to be mesmerized by this hidden gem of Europe.
Top 5 Things to do in Plitvice Lake Croatia
- Make Plitvice Lakes your next summer destination and experience some of Europe’s most beautiful and secluded places. With so much to explore and discover, you’ll be sure to come away with some of the best travel inspiration.
- Admire the beauty of the cascading lakes – Plitvice Lakes National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, renowned for its spectacular turquoise lakes that cascade in a unique way, and its lush, green forests.
- Go for a boat ride – Take a leisurely boat ride along the longest lake in the park and admire the breathtaking views.
- Experience nature trails – There are 16 different trails in the park, ranging from easy to difficult, so you can explore the park at your own pace.
- Take a dip in the lake – On hot summer days, you can take a refreshing dip in one of the many crystal clear lakes.
- Visit a waterfall – Plitvice Lakes National Park is home to some of the most beautiful waterfalls in Croatia. Take a stroll and admire the natural beauty of the park.
5. Cinque Terre, Italy
Hidden Gems in Europe
The Italian Riviera is home to some of the most stunning towns in the world. Cinque Terre is a collection of five small towns that are connected by trails and the coastline. Explore the colorful houses, picturesque harbor, and beautiful beaches. It’s the perfect place to relax and take in the views.
Top 5 Things to do in Cinque Terre Italy
- Explore the Five Villages: Take a leisurely stroll through the five villages that make up the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Cinque Terre — Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare.
- Indulge in Local Cuisine: Sample some of the delicious local dishes, like pesto, focaccia, farinata, and seafood-based dishes like the famous testaroli.
- Take a Boat Ride: Take a boat ride along the gorgeous coastline for a different perspective on the picturesque villages.
- Go Hiking: Take a hike along the Via dell’Amore (Path of Love) that connects the first two villages, or along one of the other well-marked trails.
- Visit the Beaches: Relax on the beautifulazza, or explore the rocky coastline of the other villages.
6. Hallstatt, Austria
The town of Hallstatt in Austria is one of the most stunning places in Europe. This picturesque town is home to stunning churches, old buildings, and beautiful lakeside views. Take a boat ride on the lake, explore the old town, or visit one of the many museums. It’s a great place to experience Austria’s culture and history.
Top 5 Things to do in Hallstatt, Austria
- Explore the Old Town: Immerse yourself in the history and culture of Hallstatt, one of the oldest known towns in Europe. Wander the cobblestone streets and admire the picturesque buildings and waterfront views.
- Visit Hallstatt Salt Mine: Take an underground tour of the oldest salt mine in the world, dating back to prehistoric times. Marvel at the impressive salt sculptures, salt lake, and underground slides.
- Take the Hallstatt Skywalk: Experience breathtaking views of Hallstatt from the top of the Dachstein Mountains. Take a leisurely stroll along the Skywalk, which offers stunning views of the town below.
- Go Skiing in Dachstein West: Enjoy the best skiing in the area at the Dachstein West ski resort. Take in the stunning mountain scenery and take on a variety of slopes and trails.
- Sail on the Hallstatt See: Relax and take in the beauty of Hallstatt from the tranquil waters of the Hallstatt See. Take a boat tour and admire the breathtaking views as you sail across the lake.
7. Meteora, Greece
The Meteora Monasteries in Greece are some of the most impressive sights in the country. These monasteries are perched atop the rocky cliffs of the Meteora mountains, and offer stunning views of the surrounding area. Take a tour of the monasteries, or take a hike in the nearby mountains. It’s a great place to experience Greek culture and nature.
Top 5 Things to do in Meteora, Greece
Climb the Stairway to Heaven: Take a journey to the top of the rocks of Meteora and experience breathtaking views from the steps of the Stairway to Heaven, a historic path only accessible by foot.
Explore the Monasteries: Visit the Meteora monasteries and experience the unique beauty of these ancient structures, filled with centuries of artwork, sculptures and artifacts.
Sample Local Cuisine: Enjoy the delicious, traditional Greek dishes offered in the restaurants of Meteora, such as spanakopita, moussaka, and tzatziki.
Ride a Hot Air Balloon: Take a hot air balloon ride and soar above the rocks of Meteora, discovering the hidden beauty of this region from a unique and unforgettable perspective.
Visit Local Attractions: Explore the nearby attractions in Meteora, such as the Varlaam Monastery, the Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas Monastery, and the Meteoron Monastery.
8. Faroe Islands, Denmark
The Faroe Islands are one of the most beautiful and underrated places in Europe. This archipelago is located in the North Atlantic Ocean, and is home to stunning landscapes, traditional villages, and friendly locals. Enjoy the picturesque views, go for a hike, or take a boat ride to explore the islands. It’s a great place to get away from it all.
Top 5 Things to do in Faroe Islands, Denmark
Explore the rugged coastline – With its craggy cliffs, stunning sea stacks, and breathtaking sea views, the Faroe Islands’ coastline is a nature-lover’s paradise.
Discover the capital of Tórshavn – From its picturesque harbor to its colorful old town, the capital of Tórshavn is the perfect place to learn about Faroese culture and history.
Go bird watching – The Faroe Islands are a haven for bird watchers, with dozens of species to be seen, including Atlantic Puffin.
Experience the midnight sun – During the summer months, the Faroe Islands experience the midnight sun, with the sun never setting below the horizon.
Hike to the top of Slættaratindur – At 882 meters, Slættaratindur is the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands, with magnificent views of the surrounding landscape.
9. Kotor, Montenegro
Kotor is one of the most stunning cities in Montenegro. This medieval city is home to a number of old churches, castles, and cobblestone streets. Explore the old town, go for a hike in the surrounding mountains, or just relax and take in the stunning views. It’s a great place to experience Montenegro’s culture and natural beauty.
Top 5 Things to do in Kotor, Montenegro
- Take a boat tour of the Bay of Kotor: Experience the majestic beauty of the bay by boat and explore the stunning coastline.
- Walk the city walls of Kotor: Enjoy the spectacular views of the Adriatic Sea and Kotor’s old town while walking along the historic city walls.
- Visit the Church of Our Lady of the Rocks: Explore the beautiful and unique architecture of this 15th century church located on a small island in the bay.
- Explore Perast: Take a day trip to this nearby coastal town and admire its historic buildings and monuments.
- Hike to the Fortress of St. John: Climb the fort’s steep staircases and enjoy the stunning views from the top.
10. Krakow, Poland
Krakow is one of the most beautiful cities in Poland. This city is full of old buildings, churches, and cobblestone streets. Take a tour of the old city, visit one of the many museums, or explore one of the many parks. It’s a great place to experience Polish culture and history.
Europe is full of hidden gems that are waiting to be explored. From stunning natural wonders to hidden historical spots, these are the top 10 hidden gems in Europe that you don’t want to miss! So, grab your passport and start exploring!
Top 5 Things to do in Krakow, Poland
- Explore the Old Town – Admire the Gothic churches, medieval streets and old market square of Krakow, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
- Visit Wawel Castle – Stand in awe of the magnificence of this castle, which has been the home of Polish kings for centuries.
- Visit Auschwitz – Take a sobering tour of the site of the Nazi concentration camp and remember those who were persecuted during World War II.
- Take a trip to Kazimierz – Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the old Jewish quarter of Krakow and explore its winding streets and synagogues.
- Enjoy a local beer – Sip on a delicious Polish beer in one of Krakow’s many traditional pubs and soak up the vibrant atmosphere.
11. North Macedonia
Nestled in the heart of Europe lies an often overlooked country – North Macedonia. From towering mountains and deep valleys to shimmering lakes and lush forests, North Macedonia is a hidden gem filled with incredible places to explore. From the ancient city of Ohrid, perched atop a lake of the same name, to the stunning National Park of Mavrovo, nature lovers will have plenty to discover.
With its history, culture, and stunning landscapes, North Macedonia is one of Europe’s hidden gems – a place to be explored and enjoyed. So why not take a break from the hustle and bustle of modern life and discover the beauty of North Macedonia? As you step into this land of hidden treasures, you will be rewarded with a plethora of incredible experiences. Transitioning now to the various activities to do in North Macedonia that will surely delight!
Top 5 Things to do in North Macedonia
- Explore the stunning Ohrid Lake – one of the oldest and deepest lakes in Europe, Ohrid Lake is known for its crystal-clear waters and the stunning mountainous backdrop.
- Visit the fortified city of Kale – this ancient fortress stands atop a hilltop overlooking the city of Ohrid and is a must-see for any traveler.
- Experience Skopje’s unique nightlife – the capital city of North Macedonia is known for its vibrant nightlife, offering something for everyone.
- Discover the ancient Stobi archaeological site – dating back to the 1st century BC, this site is home to some of the most impressive Roman ruins in the region.
- Go hiking in the National Park Mavrovo – this park is home to some of the most beautiful forests, rivers, and mountains in the country, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
Europe is full of amazing hidden gems waiting to be explored. From breathtaking natural wonders to hidden historical spots, these are the top 10 beautiful hidden gems in Europe that you don’t want to miss! So, grab your passport and start exploring!
Do let us know about how many of them you have already ticked off from your bucket list.
Do you plan to take travel insurance when you are exploring these mystical places in Europe?
Read More: Most Beautiful Places in Europe